What is multi-hop messaging?
- Most regular wireless connections are single hop.
- Devices act as both clients and access points.
- Data is passed from one wireless device to another whenever a connection is available.
- Devices act as mobile routers, exchanging data until it reaches it destination
What is Wifi-direct
- Allows Android devices to act as both clients and access points and exchange data via a wifi connection, but leaves implementation of multi-hop routing up to the developer.
Many Different Ways Todo The Same Thing
- There have been many different routing schemes proposed for multi-hop wireless communication, similarly many different possible applications.
- A multilayer design abstracts components such that they can be easily swapped
Our Multilayer Design
- Connection Manager – initiate and manage Wifi-Direct connections between peers.
- Routing Manager – stores and forwards messages using an epidemic routing protocol.
- File Manager – submits and handles file requests from other mobile devices.
Future Applications of Wireless Multi-hop Communications
- Mobile device to mobile device (and also vehicle to vehicle) communications in the absence of a static infrastructure.
- Mobile device to mobile device communications that coexist within larger cell infrastructure (free text messaging in a local area).